Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Assessment Methods and Tools!

     The purpose of assessment is to gather important information  on the learned experiences to improve performance. You can determine if the intended learning outcomes have been met. Teachers  are using e-portfolios, clickers, and assessment rubrics for assessment. These forms of assessment generate ample feedback.
     E-portfolios are collections of digitized artifacts that could include videos, graphics, sound, artwork that exhibits students' efforts, progress and achievements. This method can help students get a chance to reflect on the work that have done over a period of time. As the book explains, "the act of reflection on ones work can contribute to modifying  ones thinking based on comparisons of ones own work with that of experts and peers." It helps the teacher assess many different types of learning outcomes. It also offers flexibility in terms of how they are implemented. Computer-based tests are given to students on a computer where they record their answers on a bubble sheet. They use them for quicker test results and to free up teacher time. In some instances, people might say that the validity and reliability are impacted by computer-bases tests. Some say it does not motivate or engage the student in the testing process. Other cases, people use them in ways such as the CAT test. It has proven to be reliable and valid.
     From what I have read in chapter 10, I have come to the conclusion that choosing the right assessment methods and tools is very important to assess meaningful learning. Through e-portfolios and designing accurate rubrics for students and teachers to follow we can make an accurate assessment on what the student has learned and in return help them learn more. This chapter has opened my eyes to some different reasons of why you need accurate assessment as well as tools and information on different ways to assess.

Reference:

Jonassen, D., Howland, J., Marra, R., & Crismond, D. (2008). Meaningful Learning with Technology (3rd ed.).

4 comments:

  1. This chapter really opened my eyes too! All the different ways of assessment amazed me. It gives teachers many options as to how they want to assess their students and what would be the best way to go about it. It was a great chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lacy,
    Chapter 10 was enlightening for sure. I look forward to creating my ePortfolio so that I can gain the experience needed to create them for my students in the future. I believe that this will be the norm in the near future as technology is integrated more and more into our classrooms. I want to be able to assess my students as accurately as possible and to be able to present it to parents or fellow co-workers to demonstrate their accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree that my eyes were opened. However, I must say that I was pleased to see an entire section on rubric's. I know that I want my students to know exactly what to expect and a rubric is such a way to achieve that goal. I also agree that choosing the right assessment is one way to create meaningful learning... which is something that we are all hoping to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My eyes where also opened. When I was in high school, we were assessed through computer-based tesing. I disliked them and still do. I never knew there are other ways to assess students until this class. The e-portfolio is a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete