Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Podcasting!!


The first thing I learned about podcasting is what it actually is. It gives access for anyone to become a sole producer and distributor of audio and/or video content that can be offered worldwide through the internet. So basically it’s an audio file that is saved as an mp3 file and made available for whomever on the internet. Podcasting can be used in the classroom in a few different aspects. It can be used for students to make their own broadcasts, recording personal messages to learn about each other, digital storytelling, creating and sharing music, and many other ways as well.
            Podcasting is similar in some ways to other apps we have previously discussed. Obviously they are all the same in ways that we can use most of the apps in a school setting and they will offer some sort of benefit. Podcasting is a little different in such a way that it deals with the audio and video side to things. You could link a podcast and say a blog and use them together.  Different uses but they are all very similar.
            I do own a type of MP3 player and the way I use it is by downloading songs off my computer and loading them to play on my player. I would definitely consider using this in the classroom. I know I will need to read a little more on different ways I would use it and how to use it the most effectively. I do think there are advantages and disadvantages to online communication tools. Advantages would be, better ways for kids to collaborate, make good decisions before hand, interact with other people that you may not have had the chance to, thinking outside the box and just doing something different. I think the only disadvantages to this would be if a teacher were not knowledgeable enough in showing how to do these things as well as knowing all the different ways online communications tools can be used.

Citation:


Jonassen, DJ, Howland, JH, Marra, RM, & Crismond, DC (2008). Meaningful Learning with Technology. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson.
Inline Citation -- (Perlman, 2002)






1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about there not being a lot of disadvantages other than the teacher not being knowledgeable enough to use the online communication tools. I think these could really change the way students learn and more importantly how well they learn.

    ReplyDelete